The role of Lead Member is key to the leadership of Children’s Services.
We recognise the wealth of experience, enthusiasm and talent of our Lead Members and as with our DCSs, the support of colleagues and safe environment to share ideas and learn from each other is beneficial to all.
The SESLIP Programme Board has agreed to develop a work-stream to support the learning and development of Lead Members as a part of the SESLIP Improvement Plan.
During 2020-2021 we piloted a programme of self-assessment and triad/ quartet peer challenge which were complementary to the DCS-led self-assessment and peer challenge and support. This programme will run again this autumn 2022.
The Lead Member Sponsor is Cllr Hannah Allbrooke, Lead Member at Brighton and Hove.
South East Region’s Lead Members Group is supported by Alison Michalska, the LGA Regional Children’s Improvement Advisor, as part of LGA’s ongoing sector-led improvement offer and Deborah Glassbrook who is an approved SESLIP Consultant and LGA SEND Improvement Advisor
We’ve facilitated regular workshops since 2021 which can be accessed using the button above.
Governance & Reports
Confidential organisational information is shared under the terms of the current SESLIP Memorandum of Understanding.
Check out the LGA website for a wealth of helpful resources to support you in your role as Lead Member for Children’s Services. We have picked out seven key documents below as starters.
- The ‘must know’ guide for lead members
- New lead members guide (first 10 days)
- A guide to the 10 questions to ask when scrutinising LAC services –
- What happens if your children’s services are judged inadequate by Ofsted?
- Corporate parenting resource pack
- Top tips for children’s services portfolio holders | Local Government Association
- Model induction for new children’s services portfolio holders | Local Government Association
- Councillor e-learning (needs an LGA login)
- Overview of LGA support for Children’s Services Lead Memebers (October 2020)